If you want to get good at mindfulness, you have to practice it on a regular basis. In fact, it is advisable to practice it every day. Mindfulness has a lot of benefits, so you should not hesitate to do it. However, if you are still having difficulty practicing mindfulness, you can consider these tips to help you out.
1) When you begin your practice, you should carefully consider the place and time. While you can choose any location, you need to make sure that there will not be any distractions. Also, you should pick a time that is convenient for you. You should not be rushing. You can choose early morning or late night, whichever is more convenient.
2) Do not worry because you do not need to spend lots of time for mindfulness. Ten to twenty minutes per day is sufficient. Also, keep in mind that breathing is paramount. According to Diana Winston, a director of mindfulness education at the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center, the simplest place to start is with your breath.
3) You should also use whatever you have. You can try bringing your awareness to your daily activities. For instance, you can observe how the bristles of your toothbrush feel against your gums while you brush your teeth. You can also watch the grass and the leaves as you take a walk.
4) Do not forget to find your center. You can start focusing on small life situations. For instance, you can get your mental temperature for the day. If you are stressed out regarding an important meeting, you can practice mindful breathing. You should not get rid of your anxious thoughts, but instead, watch your mind in action. You should acknowledge your stress and its origins to help get rid of negativity.
5) Know when and how to stop. If you become frustrated at any point, you just have to stop and take a deep breath. Notice what is happening around you at that particular moment and go on. Eventually, you will have a calm default emotional setting that is great for your mind and body.